Fellow Pilgrim, let me share with you some fresh news. I just discovered today, Sabbath September 26, 2015 that a Seventh-day Adventist Organist played for the pope’s mass in New York, yesterday (Friday, September 25, 2015). This was revealed at, of all places, the Adventist Review Online edition, but within 24 hours it was removed, but not without a trace. So let me first share with you the Facebook post which still has it, but when you click on the link, it sends you to the Review “archives.” So without any further delay, here is the evidence:
- Joy-Leilani Garbutt says her ministry of music has a single goal: to praise God. ADVENTISTREVIEW.ORG, POSTED SEPTEMBER 25, 2015, Adventist Organist Plays for Pope During U.S. Visit. Joy-Leilani Garbutt says her ministry of music has a single goal: to praise God.” POSTED SEPTEMBER 25, 2015: By Andrew McChesney, news editor, Adventist Review
- A Seventh-day Adventist organist played at Pope Francis’ first U.S. mass in what she described as her contribution toward “sharing the joy of the gospel and the love of Christ.”–Facebook.– https://www.facebook.com/ ; ADVENTISTREVIEW.ORG
I was rather awe struck that an Adventist would consider a catholic “mass” a component of “the gospel,” in light of what Revelation 14 so very eloquently teaches to the contrary:
“6And I saw another angel fly in the midst of heaven, having the everlasting gospel to preach unto them that dwell on the earth, and to every nation, and kindred, and tongue, and people, 7Saying with a loud voice, Fear God, and give glory to him; for the hour of his judgment is come: and worship him that made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and the fountains of waters. 8And there followed another angel, saying, Babylon is fallen, is fallen, that great city, because she made all nations drink of the wine of the wrath of her fornication. 9And the third angel followed them, saying with a loud voice, If any man worship the beast and his image, and receivehis mark in his forehead, or in his hand, 10 The same shall drink of the wine of the wrath of God, which is poured out without mixture into the cup of his indignation; and he shall be tormented with fire and brimstone in the presence of the holy angels, and in the presence of the Lamb: 11And the smoke of their torment ascendeth up for ever and ever: and they have no rest day nor night, who worship the beast and his image, and whosoever receiveth the mark of his name.12Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus.” Rev. 14: 6-12
Worship of “the beast” is a serious crime in heaven’s eyes, even if there is great pageantry with it. O, wheer are the Daniel’s today? Shadrach, Meshach, Adednego, are you in the Adventist church? Will you please stand up for us today to give us the spiritual fortitude to not barter our salvation for a “mess of worldly pottage,” as did Esau of old?
We have been told that the greatest want of the world today is the lack of real courageous Christians–real men and women who cannot be bought or sold.
“The greatest want of the world is the want of men—men who will not be bought or sold, men who in their inmost souls are true and honest, men who do not fear to call sin by its right name, men whose conscience is as true to duty as the needle to the pole, men who will stand for the right though the heavens fall.” EGW, Education, p. 57.
Strangely, when one clicks on the link to the Review article, it sends you to the “archives” files, and not to the article they feature. It seems to be the best kept secret they don’t want us to know about. So I decided that if this information is being purposefully hidden, it must be available somewhere, and my search led me to a reputable media outlet, which covered the story, and interviewed her dad, as well. Here’s Fox news for you:
“Fox News, KMPH-26, FRESNO, CA -Most in the massive crowd Wednesday were there to celebrate mass but a Fresno woman was there to serve at something she calls the chance of a lifetime.
- Fox News, KMPH-26, FRESNO, CA -Most in the massive crowd Wednesday were there to celebrate mass but a Fresno woman was there to serve at something she calls the chance of a lifetime.
- Joy-Leilani Garbutt’s father says he knew early on she was meant to play the organ but never guessed one day, she would play for the pope…Once she grew up, she played at Fresno Adventist Academy and Fresno Pacific University— and went on to achieve masters at Northwestern and Harvard. She is currently a minister of music at two churches in Washington D.C. She’s working on her doctorate of music at the catholic university of America…
- Joy-Leilani Garbutt said, “There was just so much wonderful energy around the event with all the great musicians gathered together with the full orchestra. There were four organists and we each had a turn playing for different parts of the mass, it was such an honor.”
- Joy’s father Dr. Glenn Garbutt said, “For her to be able to play for the world leader of a major church is a blessing and a unique opportunity to praise the lord across a bigger stage.“ http://www.kmph-kfre.com/story/30103577/fresno-woman-plays-organ-for-pope [Please click on this link, as it will take you the the actual video footage of the local news reporter covering this story.]
Joy’s Facebook page shows that she is the minister of music for: The Takoma Park Seventh-day Adventist Church, and St. John’s Evangelical Lutheran Church
My purpose for noticing this is the fact that it was published and quickly withdrawn in less than 24 hours! Is there more to it? You be the judge.
Apparently SDA Pastors/ Leaders are told to not mention Papal Visit in their Churches…
For as popular as he is, you would expect that a visit to the SDA world church website would provide some semblance of information on this opulent world-traveler, but alas, when I made the search request, five-days into the pope’s visit to the SDA Church’s door steps, in Washington DC, this is what came back to me:
“Searched for “pope Francis”. Found 1 results in 7 milliseconds. Displaying results 1 to 1 of 1.” http://www.adventist.org/utility/search/?q=pope+francis
The Only Mention of Pope Francis From The General Conference’s Outlet is this 2013 blurb:
“July 26, 2013: In Brazil, youth of the Rio de Janeiro Central Adventist Church offered Christian hospitality recently to some 170 Roman Catholics by hosting them overnight during their trip to the area for the Catholic Church’s World Youth Day and Pope Francis’s visit. Adventist Church leader Romulo Silvea said, “We have our doctrinal differences, but we serve a God who is sovereign and gave and example of showing love to your neighbor.”– http://news.adventist.org/en/all-photos/photo/go/0/hosting-travelers/
Confounded, I made another search request of the Adventist world press, this time about the pope’s visit to Philadelphia, this week in 2015, the most celebrated of his papal visit, set to attract more than 1.5 million visitors, and as with my previous request, here are the results of the latter: “Searched for “pope in Philadelphia”. Found 1 results in 8 milliseconds. Displaying results 1 to 1 of 1.”– http://news.adventist.org/search/?q=pope+in+philadelphia
“A RECENTLY RELEASED STUDY FOUND THAT WEALTHIER NATIONS TEND TO PLACE LESS IMPORTANCE ON RELIGION–WITH THE EXCEPTION OF THE UNITED STATES–THAN POORER NATIONS.
- “December 30, 2002: A recently released study found that wealthier nations tend to place less importance on religion—with the exception of the United States—than poorer nations.”– http://news.adventist.org/en/all-news/news/go/2002-12-30/united-states-most-religious-among-wealthy-nations-survey-says/So, from the lack of information at the denomination’s Headquarters, one cannot tell that such a high-profile figure of Bible prophecy actually came to our neck of the woods, without gaining as much as a passing mention in the official Adventist News Network! So I went to the Adventist Review…
- “SEPTEMBER 23, 2015: “More Than a Historic Visit: The pope’s U.S. trip is significant, but Adventists should not be driven into a prophetic effervescence.
- “By Marcos Blanco, editorial director, Asociación Casa Editora Sudamericana, the Argentinian Seventh-day Adventist publishing house in Buenos Aires
- “As an Argentinian and fellow countryman of the former archbishop of Buenos Aires, I had a hunch that Pope Francis would write history before long.”–http://www.adventistreview.org (September 23, 2015)
- While the paper went on to talk about our need to preach the third angel’s message, it merely mentioned it, without any details of that message, except for some prevailing anti-Sabbath laws.
A Very Insightful Reader’s Comment on the above news release:
- “Carlos Olguín• 2 days ago: I don’t know why, but in my country, Chile, all pastors are very cautious in speaking these topics, they even recommend us local church leaders not to “scare the people”. I don’t know if this is instructed by the leader in the conference or the union or worst, it is taught in the seminary. This is so far away from the sense of urgency of our message. Jesus was waiting his people to receive the Holy Spirit in 1901, and here we are, in slumber, for more than 100 years. Women ordination is not our call, it is a diversion. It is true that maybe pope Francis won’t be the one, or the last pope, but he is accelerating combustion as any other, or do you forget the video he sent to protestant leaders saying we should be united? what is it?
- “In Chile we are used to earthquakes, very used to them, we even joke that no quake of less than 8.5 Richter is going to move us from our bed. This article does exactly that, “don’t worry, it’s not a 9.0 yet, you should worry when it is a 9″… I understand that panic is not our spirit, but neither is to sing lullabies to make us sleep.” http://www.adventistreview.org (September 23, 2015)
Here’s what I know: After the deadly wound has been healed, sometime AFTER 1929 “all” the world will wander after the beast. Let’s be sure we’re not in that crowd!
“3And I saw one of his heads as it were wounded to death; and his deadly wound was healed: and all the world wondered after the beast… 8And all that dwell upon the earth shall worship him, whose names are not written in the book of life of the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world.” Rev. 13: 3, 8.
O that may we learn to follow the Lamb and worship him, instead of “the beast!”
I will not close without inviting you to join my Bible Study class, every Sabbath at 5:30 pm EST where we open the Bible, and bring it alive, make its teachings relevant to our times, and exalt the truth of Righteousness by Faith.
You have a choice, stay in the churches and be stupefied to the neutralizing toxins of Roman Catholicism (or Jesuitism) being unnoticeably injected in your thoughts from week to week, or start a personal Revival and Reformation, and seek out “the extra oil” of truth.
A Bible Study Conference Call For YOU: Here’s how to start this journey with us. Dial: (641) 715-3580, enter PIN: 944823#. Press *6 to mute out all background noises. And be sure to take an audio recorder and or a note book and pen(cil). See you at our next meeting. YHWH’s blessings to you.
Ellen White Dreamt That the SDA Church was Transformed into A Roman Catholic Procession
“That night I dreamed that I was in Battle Creek looking out from the side glass at the door and saw a company marching up to the house, two and two. They looked stern and determined. I knew them well and turned to open the parlor door to receive them, but thought I would look again. The scene was changed. The company now presented the appearance of a Catholic procession. One bore in his hand a cross, another a reed. And as they approached, the one carrying a reed made a circle around the house, saying three times: “This house is proscribed. The goods must be confiscated. They have spoken against our holy order.” TESTIMONIES FOR THE CHURCH, VOL. 1, PAGE 578,
- “The Lord has pronounced a curse upon those who take from or add to the Scriptures. The great I AM has decided what shall constitute the rule of faith and doctrine, and he has designed that the Bible shall be a household book. The church that holds to the word of God is irreconcilably separated from Rome. Protestants were once thus apart from this great church of apostasy, but they have approached more nearly to her, and are still in the path of reconciliation to the Church of Rome. Rome never changes. Her principles have not altered in the least. She has not lessened the breach between herself and Protestants; they have done all the advancing. But what does this argue for the Protestantism of this day? It is the rejection of Bible truth which makes men approach to infidelity. It is a backsliding church that lessens the distance between itself and the Papacy.” THE SIGNS OF THE TIMES, February 19, 1894
I believe it is a serous question for every Seventh-day Adventist to ponder: Are we irreconcilably separated from Rome, or are irrevocably joined to her? As the signs of the times thicken around us, it is evident that it is only “a backsliding church that lessens the distance between itself and the Papacy.” When you see this manifestation in the leadership and ministry of Seventh-day Adventism, know that we have fallen to a new low–wandered from the old landmarks of our faith in Scripture, and that the judgments of God will be directed against us, as a people. For when the salt has lost its savor, it is good for nothing. My only encouragement to you is to make sure that you have the “extra oil,” and are robed in “the wedding garment” of our King.
2 thoughts on “Adventist Organist Plays For Pope Francis’ Mass in NYC (Friday September 25, 2015)”
AS a very controversial Seventh Day Adventist, if they still consider me as one, lol, I see nothing wrong withy this Lady playing for the Pope or any other dignitary. She is studying in a Catholic University and If she ministers to the Pope or anyone else it is because God permits. Recently, the Prime Minister of Trinidad and Tobago, was invited to speak on the Sabbath Day by the Leaders of the Church here. The Union President and the University President, had their pictures taken with her. I may be the only person in the world who saw this as breaking the Sabbath. The Prime Minister was working on the Sabbath and what does the commandment say? Play on my friend play on.
Hi Tony: Thanks for sharing. Given your rationale, can you please explain to the readers why there has been this MASSIVE cover-up about the organist for the pope’s mass by the Seventh-day Adventist Corporation?
I would venture to say please pray for the editor of the Review for bringing this to light, and quickly withdrawing it, for I believe “heads will roll” for this slip-up! But I still need your take on the apparent “cover-up”.